About Me

My photo
I'm on a mission: Discover the best foods to fuel the *mind* *body* and *soul* I'm also here to have fun. I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition on my way to becoming a Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist. Day to day, I live my life according to what I'm going to eat next. When having breakfast I think about what I'm going to eat for lunch; when I'm having lunch I think about what I'm going to eat for dinner. I find that what I eat is a determining factor in how I feel. And what I do is fueled by what I eat. I am a fitness fanatic and a yoga lover. So fuel is vital and is needed for energy maintenance.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Omega-3s

OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS

Add walnuts, you need your omega-3s today.

Sprinkle some flaxseed on your cereal, it’ll give it a kick of omega-3s.

Pick the salmon, it's loaded with omega-3s.

Okay fine sounds great but what are omega-3s?!?

Omega-3 fatty acids…

-essential fatty acids that our body can’t make so we have to get them through food

-found in fish such as salmon, tuna, halibut, nut oils, flaxseeds, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, canola oil, avocado, arugula, tofu, edamame, brussel sprouts, kale, and spinach

-protect against heart disease, fight inflammation, helps with breathing, battles depression, lower blood pressure, reduce clotting, and may help fight diabetes

Cucumber Goat Cheese Salad kicked up with Omega-3s

2 cucumbers
 and 1 pint cherry tomatoes

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil


1 cup crumbled goat cheese

*1 avocado


*1 tablespoon flaxseed oil

*1/4 cup of crushed walnuts

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar


salt and pepper


No comments:

Post a Comment