About Me

My photo
I'm on a mission: Discover the best foods to fuel the *mind* *body* and *soul* I'm also here to have fun. I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition on my way to becoming a Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist. Day to day, I live my life according to what I'm going to eat next. When having breakfast I think about what I'm going to eat for lunch; when I'm having lunch I think about what I'm going to eat for dinner. I find that what I eat is a determining factor in how I feel. And what I do is fueled by what I eat. I am a fitness fanatic and a yoga lover. So fuel is vital and is needed for energy maintenance.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Corn Pop


I found out the hard way that I was severely allergic to corn. When my doctor handed me a list of foods that I had to give up I was shocked. Corn is in EVERYTHING, I thought. I had to start reading labels and I had to shun anything with corn syrup, corn starch, corn flour, modified food starch, dextrose…This meant a lot more than giving up popcorn, corn flakes, and tortilla chips. My major enemy became high fructose corn syrup.

But hey, I guess here’s my chance to use the phrase: what a blessing in disguise!

Princeton researchers experimented with lab rats and found that a diet with high fructose corn syrup caused more weight gain than eating regular sugar and even more compared to a high fat diet.

HFCS is...

~Made by changing the sugar to fructose which causes it to have a longer shelf life.

~Found more harmful to our bodies than plain sugar.

~Increases risk for obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary heart disease.

~Can be found in soda, juices, breads, cereals, processed meats, dairy products like yogurt, condiments, sauces, canned fruits and vegetables, crackers, candies, jams, and syrups.

For an extensive list check out: http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2005/06/09/foods_and_produc

ts_containing_high_fruct

List of alternatives and food that do not have HFCS

http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html

The Fiesta isn’t Over…










Mexican food is my favorite cuisine so I felt awful the first time I sat down to freshly warm tortilla chips and homemade guacamole and salsa. However, I was able to accommodate for my elimination diet.

*Shrimp Ceviche (Shrimp, avacado, pico de gallo, lime, cilantro)

*Chicken Fajitas (instead of using a tortilla make it into a salad and mix in the guacamole and salsa) Ask for rice that is made with no corn

*Ask for flour tortillas instead of corn (dip into guac!)

No comments:

Post a Comment