About Me

My photo
I'm on a mission: Discover the best foods to fuel the *mind* *body* and *soul* I'm also here to have fun. I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition on my way to becoming a Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist. Day to day, I live my life according to what I'm going to eat next. When having breakfast I think about what I'm going to eat for lunch; when I'm having lunch I think about what I'm going to eat for dinner. I find that what I eat is a determining factor in how I feel. And what I do is fueled by what I eat. I am a fitness fanatic and a yoga lover. So fuel is vital and is needed for energy maintenance.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Live like the Mediterraneans



Greeks live longer than any other population in the world. They are 20% less likely to die of coronary artery disease than Americans and have 1/3 less cancer than in the US. Give thanks to the Mediterranean Diet...
Mediterranean Diet isn't a diet, it's a way of life. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, seafood, yogurt, olive oil, and wine in moderation.

Vegetables: Tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, spinach, eggplant, mushrooms, lentils, chick peas
Fruit: Apples, oranges, grapes, pineapples, mangoes, cantaloupes, watermelons, strawberries, kiwi. Fiber, nutrients, vitamin C, carotenoids, phenolics
Whole Grains: Bread, pasta, potatoes, polenta, rice, and couscous. Full of vitamins, fiber, minerals, and nutrients. It has been found that following a diet low in animal products and high in plant foods is a decreasing factor in heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers.
Alex's Fav: Avocado with Tuna Sashimi
Olive Oil: Replace fats such as butter and margarine.
A compound in olive oil--olecanthal may reduce inflamation which can decrease incidence of heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer's, and autoimmune diseases.
Omega-3: Fish: salmon, tuna, sardines, trout and flaxseed
Omega 3 fatty acids may reduce heart attacks, blood clots, hypertension, strokes, certain cancers, and neurological disorders.
Healthy Fats: Olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, omega-3 fatty acids
Tips:
*Choose natural peanut butter instead of the kind with added hydrogenated fat added.
*Eat a variety of whole fruits and vegetables--aim for 7-10 servings a day.
*Use canola or olive oil while cooking.
*Choose fish and poultry rather than red meat.
*Switch to skim milk, fat-free yogurt, and low-fat cheese.
*For a snack, grab a handful of mixed nuts.
*Drink a glass of red wine at dinner.
*Avoid processed foods and eat seasonally fresh food.
*Exercise 3-4 days a week
Mediterranean Diet + Yoga

From the yoga perspective, nutrition emphasizes eating small quantities of high quality foods. Foods that provide energy, are wholesome, and have optimal nutritional value. The high quality foods include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts. Not all yogis are vegetarians but it is advised to eat meat in moderation. Meat contains toxins which is a waste product of muscle metabolism thus meat will slow down yoga progress. Yogis also emphasize eating fresh food and a large portion of consumption should be raw.















Alex's Fav
Sabra Hummus--Chickpeas are the main ingredient which is
a great source of soluble fiber (this lowers cholesteral). Eat with fresh pita,
Stacy's pita chips, fresh cut vegetables, and use it as a spread to substitute for cream cheese or butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment