About Me

My photo
I'm on a mission: Discover the best foods to fuel the *mind* *body* and *soul* I'm also here to have fun. I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition on my way to becoming a Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist. Day to day, I live my life according to what I'm going to eat next. When having breakfast I think about what I'm going to eat for lunch; when I'm having lunch I think about what I'm going to eat for dinner. I find that what I eat is a determining factor in how I feel. And what I do is fueled by what I eat. I am a fitness fanatic and a yoga lover. So fuel is vital and is needed for energy maintenance.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Skinny on FIBER


Why is fiber so important?

-improves digestion

-reduces risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer

-lowers cholesterol

-prevents heart disease

-flattens your belly/aids in weight loss

-keeps you feeling full and releases hunger-satisfying chemicals in the brain

The recommended amount of fiber daily is 25-30 grams.

Best sources of fiber (in grams)

-Fruits

3 figs=10.5

1 mango=4.5

½ cup raspberries=4.6

1 apple or pear=4

1/2cup of blueberries=3.8

1 banana or 1 cup strawberries=3


-Vegetables

½ avocado=6.7

4-5 artichoke hearts=4.5

1 baked potato with skin=4.2

1 baked potato without skin or 1 sweet potato with skin=4

½ cup cooked peas=4.4

-Legumes

½ cup kidney beans or black beans=9.7

½ cup chick peas=6

-Nuts

¼ cup almonds=4

¼ cup walnuts=2

Whole wheat pasta with arugula=8.2 grams of fiber

-Whole grains

1 cup whole wheat pasta=5.7

½ cup quinoa=5

½ cup rolled oats=4

1 slice whole wheat bread=3

whole wheat English muffin=5

Falafel Sandwich with Yogurt-Tahini Sauce=14.7 grams of fiber




No comments:

Post a Comment