About Me

My photo
I'm on a mission: Discover the best foods to fuel the *mind* *body* and *soul* I'm also here to have fun. I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition on my way to becoming a Health Coach and Holistic Nutritionist. Day to day, I live my life according to what I'm going to eat next. When having breakfast I think about what I'm going to eat for lunch; when I'm having lunch I think about what I'm going to eat for dinner. I find that what I eat is a determining factor in how I feel. And what I do is fueled by what I eat. I am a fitness fanatic and a yoga lover. So fuel is vital and is needed for energy maintenance.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Yin and Yang

I love sweet and salty food combinations. Therefore, a major staple in my diet is trail mix. Make your own trail mix at youbars.com and they ship you single-serving bags for portion control and portability. They also calculate the nutrition facts for your very own creation.

http://youbars.com/mixatrailmix

Alex's Mix
Almonds, Pistachios, Dried Cherries, Goji Berries, Pumpkin Seeds, Dark Chocolate Covered Raisins

My salty/sweet desire also means after dinner I crave chocolate. I took a 3 credit course on Chocolate at Indiana University and learned everything you could ever learn about chocolate. I stick to dark chocolate which has the most benefits. Dark chocolate contains flavanoids which are antioxidants associated with benefits to the cardiovascular system. Benefits also include lowering LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesteral by 5 points. Not to mention, chocolate improves emotional health and happiness too.
After much research (by eating massive amounts of chocolate) I found a chocolate bar that will cure anybody's craving. Chocolove uses organic chocolate and makes amazing flavor combinations such as: crystalized ginger, cherries and almonds, hazelnuts, orange peel, chillies and cherries, raspberries, toffee and almonds. My all time favorite is cherries and almonds.

Other ways to satisfy your yin and yang cravings: popcorn + dark chocolate m&ms, bananas or apples with almond butter or crunchy organic peanut butter, dark chocolate covered mini pretzels (Trader Joes), watermelon and feta salad, and sweet and sour tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment